Feedback

Jesse Jackson headlines rally to oppose youth jail

reallocate to recreate 1

Some of the city and state officials and other participants at a rally yesterday to oppose a $100 million youth jail for Baltimore.

Photo by: Bill Hughes, Facebook

Here are scenes from yesterday’s rally in Baltimore to oppose Gov. Martin O’Malley’s plan to build a more than $70 million youth jail in Baltimore, including a video excerpt of remarks by Rev. Jesse L. Jackson.

“Build houses, not jails! Hope, not despair!” Jackson said, leading the crowd at the War Memorial Building in a chant at the “Reallocate to Recreate” rally.

Local ministers and The Safe and Sound Campaign, who organized the rally have, along with other activists, been pressing Maryland officials to drop plans to build the 120-bed facility and instead invest in programs to support youth with more neighborhood, educational, job training and recreational opportunities.

Yesterday, the civil rights leader added rebuilding vacant houses to the activists’ list of better uses of state funds.

“You got 40,000 vacant houses and abandoned lots in Baltimore. 100,000 in Chicago. Another hundred thousand in Detroit,” Jackson said.

“We will not win on Tuesday and lose on Thursday,” Jackson said, speaking in the wake of Tuesday’s reelection of President Barack Obama.

O’Malley, citing conditions in the city detention facility, where teens are held along with adults, has said the plan is moving forward


———————

More participants in the "Reallocate to Recreate" rally in Baltimore.

More participants in the “Reallocate to Recreate” rally in Baltimore.

Be sure to check our full comment policy before leaving a comment.

  • September 2, 2015

    • Sharp-Leadenhall’s $2.4 million Race Street water and sewer infrastructure upgrades have been completed. The Department of Public Works finished work on 0.8 acres between West Cross and West Ostend streets next to Stadium Square, a 293-unit apartment and retail project under development by Caves Valley Partners. In addition to restoring the century-old storm drain structure, […]

  • September 1, 2015

    • Over the last five months of its crackdown on delinquent water accounts, Baltimore’s Department of Public Works turned off service to only 11 commercial accounts, while nearly 5,000 residents with overdue bills had their service terminated. During the time frame of March 26 to August 28, the agency has collected $27,896,883 from overdue accounts. Only $4,901,641 of that sum […]

  • August 31, 2015

  • August 27, 2015

    • About 1,500 customers in the Carney areas of Baltimore County will receive notices that the presence of a chemical contaminant has been detected in their drinking water. The Baltimore City Department of Public Works announced today that quarterly tests between July 2014 and June 2015 showed an elevated level of haloacetic acids (HAA5) at the Carney […]

More of the Daily Drip »

Below the Fold

  • December 15, 2014

    •   “Ha ha, so not a surprise.” “Shocking…not!!” We get applause but also the occasional eye-roll these days for our accountability reporting – like last week’s piece about how tax cuts promised by the mayor as a selling point for Horseshoe Baltimore probably won’t happen, thanks to the casino’s lower-than-expected revenues. We get where the […]

Twitter

Facebook