Trueheart released in the wee hours

taxpayer trueheart

Activist Kim Trueheart speaking in April at the annual Taxpayers’ Night public meeting about the Baltimore city budget.

Photo by: Fern Shen

Kim Trueheart, the Baltimore activist and mayoral critic arrested yesterday at City Hall, said she was released from Central Booking at 3:45 a.m. today.

Her email was short, but upbeat. “I’m doing great,” she wrote, noting also that “Mike McGuire was there to bring me home!!!”

McGuire is the local activist who happened to be walking into City Hall yesterday for the same Board of Estimates meeting Trueheart was there to attend when she was arrested at the building’s front lobby.

City Hall security officers stopped her at the City Hall entrance and when she refused to leave, called for Baltimore City Police back-up. Trueheart was charged with disorderly conduct and trespassing. Last week, before her arrest, she told The Brew she had been informed by city police she was banned from City Hall for a month.

City officials from the police and from the Mayor’s office have not yet responded to inquiries from The Brew as to the reason behind and legal basis for the ban.

(Asked via email last night, the Mayor’s communications chief Ryan O’Doherty said that city police will be handling all inquiries regarding Trueheart’s arrest: “Police comment on police matters,” O’Doherty wrote.)

Trueheart said she has, at the request of the State’s Attorney’s Office, been scheduled to appear in Early Resolution Court on Wednesday  January 30 at 8:30 a.m. in Room 7, at 1400 E. North Ave.

In addition to the disorderly conduct charge, she said, reading from the charging document, she is charged with “trespassing in a public agency during working hours” and “failure to obey.”

A “BOLO” for Trueheart?

While the matter of City Hall bans remains murky, McGuire said the officers detaining and arresting Trueheart did say there was a “BOLO” for her. (This appears to be law enforcement slang for “be on the lookout for.)

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said yesterday that this is generally a reference to a bulletin, possibly including a photo, that front desk security at city buildings might have to stop certain people. He said he did not know specifically if there was a BOLO in Trueheart’s case and would check but offered that “the last time we had one was Tom Kiefaber,” the former Senator Theatre owner.

Kiefaber has said via email he would not characterize the city’s stance toward him, following the June 2011 incident in which he stormed the dais during a City Council meeting, as “a ban.”

But he did offer that he had been, at a subsequent Board of Estimates meeting where he sat in the audience not speaking, “singled out over the public address system by [City Solicitor] George Nilson as a ‘problem’ in the audience, to be ‘removed’ and was then escorted calmly by the cops from the room and the building, and ejected in clear violation of my citizen rights.”

Be sure to check our full comment policy before leaving a comment.

  • claudlaw

    This story gets more appalling by the second.  BOLO: “Be on the lookout” for anyone who regularly attends public hearings and has the fortitude to inform and educate herself on issues concerning the process and budget appropriations that impact the children and families in her community.  

  • November 24, 2015

  • November 23, 2015

    • Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake will be off to Paris late next week, leading a delegation of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, of which she is president, to participate in the United Nations convention on climate change. According to information released this afternoon in the Board of Estimates agenda, the mayor will be in Paris from December […]

  • November 20, 2015

    • The Roland Park Place retirement community took a step closer to starting a major renovation and expansion yesterday when the Planning Commission gave “final design approval” to the first phase of the project. Plans by Hord Coplan Macht call for the first phase to include improvements to the existing building and grounds at 830 West […]

  • November 19, 2015

  • November 18, 2015

    • The Board of Estimates temporarily put the brakes on a plan to build a new courtroom and judge’s chambers in the Clarence M. Mitchell Jr. Courthouse after City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young questioned the amount of money it would cost. The spending panel was asked today to approve a request to transfer $1.2 […]

More of the Daily Drip »

Below the Fold

  • December 15, 2014

    •   “Ha ha, so not a surprise.” “Shocking…not!!” We get applause but also the occasional eye-roll these days for our accountability reporting – like last week’s piece about how tax cuts promised by the mayor as a selling point for Horseshoe Baltimore probably won’t happen, thanks to the casino’s lower-than-expected revenues. We get where the […]